Saturday, August 8, 2009

If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding

I decided on a whim that today would be the day that Molly had her first "real food"-rice cereal. I kept wondering if I should or not. When we went to the Dr. last she said that if she seemed interested that it was worth a shot and she's definitely interested. Of course she's interested in everything that we do, not just eating. The other day she went out to eat with my parents and I and at one point during the meal she had her hand in a sweet potato, so I figured that's a sign...right? Well she was definitely in to it, she was grabbing and opening her mouth like crazy. It was as if we had been starving her these past 5 months (not likely since she continues to be in the upper percentiles for weight gain, height and head circumference) and it was just now that we found a way to properly satiate her. I was surprised how well it went since they say that they usually only want a teaspoon or so...she took at least a couple tablespoons and that's taking into account that a ton of it ended up on the floor, on the bumbo, on her, on me. So I guess since it went so well, we'll do this for awhile and then move onto some more exciting foods, I'm thinking butternut squash since Jonny has some that he grew in his garden...hopefully I can find our food mill.

Here's a video we took of her first feeding. In a previous video Jonny was making fun of her gruel (he didn't think it looked that appetizing) and in this one we had progressed to trying (poorly) to quote "Oliver" and "The Wall". Just a warning to all who watch, Jonny (as always) has a rated R mouth, but hey you were already warned once when you signed onto the blog in the first place. Jonny's lack of control over his language is probably going to make for some interesting future blogs.

Trying to do it "by self" Ramsey knows what I'm talking about!
Eagerly awaiting the next delicious bite.

Her captive audience
This is just a bonus pic I took the other day. I thought it was pretty funny.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, she definitely digs the cereal! That's awesome. And don't worry about the mess....that's where your dogs will come in handy! Way to go Molly...you can do by self with the spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she's really going to town on that stuff! Just wait until she decides that Daddy is "too effing slow" and starts grabbing at the spoon to quicken the process. Then you'll see what a mess really is. Happy eating Dink & Riley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you enlarge that pictre at the bottom, her eyes are still REALLY blue. I'm convinced we finally have a blue eyed kid amongst us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was totally convinced too, until I talked to my cousin who said that her kid had blue eyes until she was around 2 and then they changed to hazel, then to brown. Who knows? My baby blues didn't last that long, that's for sure. I've decided that I will keep her regardless:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate had her first rice cereal experience last night. I will blog about it and add some pics. It was really cute and think she liked it so we are going to keep practicing to get her ready for real food!

    ReplyDelete