Molly's still a mover and a shaker and has been super busy lately driving me nuts. Communication is a blessing and a curse. On one hand it's fantastic to be able to talk to her and have her understand us and better yet, we're even starting to understand her. If she wants something, she'll often times ask for it and I'll give it to her...a fantastic transaction. Lots of times though, she wants things I don't want to give her or worse, she wants to do things I don't want to let her do. Her new favorite "sentence" is "I do" (be sure to repeat that in your head at least 20 times). Time to get a new diaper? "I do" time to put on your clothes? "I do" time to get into the car seat? "I do". She has decided that it's time to take over her care, which would be great if she could actually accomplish these tasks. I'll give her the clothes, she has gotten very good at getting dressed to some extent. She can put her feet through the legs of her pants, and has gotten extremely good at putting on her socks and shoes (maybe not always on the right feet though). However, there is no way that I'm going to sit for an hour and let her try and figure out the car seat. Mainly I don't want her to figure it out too well because then I'm going to have a baby flying into the front seat of the car mid trip.
I'm also really enjoying the mock disappointment she expresses with "OOH-NO!" and "UH-OH". When she really gets going she'll intentionally do something repeatedly for the sole purpose of being up-set over it.
Another advancement in language is the answering of yes and no questions. On a positive note, I can get her to agree to almost anything if I put it into the form of a yes/no question. She does answer "no" occasionally, but she generally responds with an enthusiastic "Yeah" which is nice for now.
I'm discovering that there must be some sort of equation that charts the relation of obnoxiousness to cuteness. The little personality that's emerging is both endlessly cute and endlessly obnoxious...I suppose that maybe the cuteness has the edge.
Here are some of the latest endlessly adorable Molly pictures of all the endlessly clever things she's been up to.
Don't know where the football came from but Molly loves it and if some kid comes looking for it...I may not know what they're talking about.

Seriously, this did not look as scary when it was happening as it does here. I love how she now says "wow" "whoa" and "wee". This was probably more of a "whoa" than a "wee".

Molly and her hair *sighs* She wore pigtails the other day, but only after I added the top one. She looks like she's getting ready to be an extra in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas".


Here she is playing golf with Dink's tennis ball. It rolled between her legs and she went looking for it.

Molly loves her some dude.
Today we took an impromptu trip to the park. I really should take her there more often now that the weather is nice. When we first arrived, there were several people running around looking for a boy named "Alexis?" with a "blue shirt and black hair". Anyhow, we did a quick glance and saw no children who looked lost and went about our own business. We played on the slides and let Molly kick her new ball around and assumed that they had probably found the kid. We decided to head over to the castle part of the park where they have a little toddler playground and again played on even more slides "again, again" as Molly likes to say. We did realize however that Alexis probably hadn't been found since we kept hearing his name being yelled. At this point I kind of felt a little concerned about this kid who must truly be missing (it had been quite awhile since we had arrived). I didn't really know what we could do though since they had several people looking and had already searched most of the park it seemed. While playing with Molly we decided to check out the little airplane model they have. We plopped Molly in the seat to let her fly and then Jonny sort of jumps and probably uses some mild obscenity (gotta clean it up for the kids you know :-) He says "there's a kid in there" of course you know where this is going, but at the time, we didn't really put it together right away. While we were walking away from the occupied plane, I say to Jonny "do you think that's the kid they're looking for?" he tells me to see if he's wearing a blue shirt and ask his name. He was of course wearing the shirt, but he wouldn't answer me. We then of course flagged down the search party and showed them where to look. It was a really good hiding spot and I'm glad we found him when we did because I can't imagine how freaked out they must have been and I could tell that there was no way that he was going to give his location up on his own. I had seen a few other kids playing around the plane but none of them said anything and other than them, the plane hadn't been too popular, so it might have been quite awhile before he would have been discovered there.
I have some videos that I would love to get on here but they're kind of a pain, so I don't know if I'll get it done anytime soon.
I totally know what you mean about the language thing. Kate often, well, always, answers "no" to everything I ask. She is really good with signs that she has learned from Baby Einstein. But when I ask her something like, time for "bath" with the signs she shakes her head and says, "no." She says "no" to everything though. If it is being outside she will say "yeah" with clapping of the hands, but if it is something functional and routine like eating, drinking, or hygiene, it is always, "no". These kids are too smart for their own good!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you Annette - we get "no's" more then we get "yes" but are learning to phrase the question in a way that works for us. Molly is getting so big and is still as cute as ever. I miss her. I can't wait to see you guys (when? no clue). Also, that's awesome she can put her clothes and shoes on. Landon refuses. He'll try after we probe him for about a micro second before saying "you do it Mommy. It's way hard." (Funnier with his boston accent on the 2nd sentence.) xoxo!
ReplyDelete