Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

Well just as an update from my last blog, Molly has slept better the past two days. Sunday night (as a birthday treat for her mother I guess) she slept the whole night with no interruptions. Last night she slept decent, but with some interruptions, but nothing I couldn't deal with. I appreciate the sympathy, but I should probably be clear that during the 4 hours that she was awake on Saturday night, she wasn't inconsolable for me...only for Jonny. My problem that night was that she would not stay asleep alone in her crib. If I was rocking her in the chair, she was fine...If I was rubbing her back while she laid in the crib, she was fine. The second I tried to stop doing those things and leave or God forbid, have her father try to help her out...she would wake up and scream. Shitty sleep habits aside, we've been having a lot of fun lately.
I'll start with some father's day pictures. We went to Jonny's mom's house for brunch and Molly had a grand time hanging out with her Aunt and Uncle, Grannies and Papas and her favorite cousins.
Madeline and Molly
Jonathan, Molly and Daddy
Also worth mentioning, is that we've started swim classes. We've made it through a week and have one more to go. She's a little reluctant to enjoy the classes, but she's mostly a good sport. Luckily she has her buddies Grayson and Kate to help her out. One day my mom was able to come and take some pictures.
Getting ready to take the plunge with Grayson and his Gram:
Watching Kate "blow bubbles" or maybe she's taking a sip.
Her good humor ends at the mouth of the frog. She really wasn't interested in doing this again.
"All done" as she frequently tells me during class...she's always ready for her lunch and nap after class.

Our whole house (except for the bonus room upstairs) is open for business. We haven't furnished it yet, but it is done and the house has passed it's final inspection with COY...phew! There is nothing a kid likes more than an open area to run in, so we just let her go. I think she's going to be sad when we start putting furniture and such in her "baby run".
Checking out her new room with the cool new rug that grandpa gave us for my birthday.
"Troll on the bridge"= Gran denying access to the stairs.

Since I wrote before about Molly's orneriness, I thought I would tell you what I'm trying to do about it. Since I really got a lot out of the book "Happiest Baby on the Block", I thought I would check out the sequel "Happiest Toddler on the Block". So far I really like it and think it's making a difference. I won't get into all of the details here, but it basically gives you a technique for talking to a screaming child. I think the thing that helps me the most is just having something else to do besides being pissed off. It's nice to feel like you have a plan of action other than being mad. Especially since communicating with a toddler isn't without it's complications.
I'll end on a positive note (I think anyhow). I turned 30 yesterday! Don't feel any different, so I don't think I'll worry about it too much. I'm too busy chasing Molly around to care about how old I am.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Becca and congrats on finishing up the house...you guys did a great job!

    I'm interested in the book you mentioned (as our little guy is a total a*hole when he isn't in a mood to be charming)...we'll definitely check it out!

    Hope all is well..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics Becca! Can't wait to see her new room all put together. See you guys tomorrow at swim!

    ReplyDelete