Yesterday we wanted to take Molly to gateway park and let her splash around in the river a little. Unfortunately there was a tea-party rally there which made it an unappealing destination for us...for several reasons. Undeterred we drove over into the CA side and saw that there's this adorable little park on the river's watershed (not sure if that's the correct terminology) right by the casino...with a huge gate blocking the entrance and a "park closed" sign. So we kept on going. We powered on and ended up at some shitty little make-shift boat ramp down the road. Jonny thought it was fine and served it's purpose (and he's right) I on the other hand was a total buzz-kill and complained about litter, and the seemingly stagnant water (although since there were water plants and fish it's unlikely that it was THAT bad). Regardless, Molly didn't care and loved splashing around. Jonny has also assured me that if she had contracted Girardia or something, we'd know by now. My mom will be mad at me for including this, but she did make me feel bad about it, confirming my worst fears about why I shouldn't have let Molly near that water. In her defense though she did backtrack and tell me that I'm probably right to not kill Molly's sense of adventure. I guess I'm frequently letting Molly do things that make my mother cringe. Truly it's probably out of my own laziness rather than trying to foster adventure, but I suppose I don't freak out about stairs, running on uneven ground and climbing as much as I probably should. The other day my mother witnessed Molly walking on a little low brick fence we have around our front yard, she tackled it with ease and Gran was impressed. She said that none of her children would have been able to do that until they were much older...mostly because she wouldn't have ever let us try. Even though I'm not as concerned with her learning those kinds of skill at the cost of a few bumps and bruises, I fully intend to walk in my mother's footsteps in other "over-protective" ways. For example I'm hoping to have her convinced she will be doomed to horrible sorrow and pain should she ever step foot in Mexico for the purpose of partying. I still don't even like to look south while drinking an ice tea.
But for now, she's two and she "loves that dirty water"



P.S. Potty Training Sucks! Everyday I have to convince myself not to give up. Right now the only argument I have is that it will be exponentially harder to do after August. Must. Power. Through!
I am with you letting kids try things. So they get a little bruise or scrape. Kids love running around and exploring; especially getting into trouble. My mother often cringes at my parenting skills...like she was Mrs. Perfect? Whatever! I think we should take the kids to Gateway Park one weekend; that would be fun!
ReplyDeleteWe let Landon learn by doing too. I'm convinced a good (but not too bad) of a fall is what he needs to learn that climbing on things is not always the best idea. I save my over protectiveness for atrocious things like High Fructose Corn Syrup. :-)
ReplyDeleteOk, I don't even know what Girardia is! What you don't know can't kill ya! Love the pictures of Molly & love Jonny's white legs! He may have Blaine beat with his farmer's tan! I don't know though, Blaine's is pretty bad :-)
ReplyDeleteAfter years of a misspent youth on the other side of your whole "no-partying-in-Mexico" argument, I'm going to have to agree. I don't have kids (my Mother says she is quite content with Kate's kids and my dog), but I teach 142 8th graders and I literally CRINGE and immediately yell at them for mentioning Mexico and partying in the same sentence. NOT. COOL. I wouldn't worry so much about stairs and whatnot... Molly's a smart girl, just like her Mama... But if you need some horror stories to scare her away from the border you know where to come ;0)
ReplyDelete