The other parenting task that I'm doing all wrong is potty training! When she wants to use it, she loves it, but when I've tried to do the whole schedule, taking her in every 15 min. she resists. Today she initiated the whole process herself in the morning. After showering, she was running around before I got her dressed, and she went in and took care of business and then she even went in and picked out a pair of underwear to wear. I thought "this is a sign". I had no where to go today so I figured I'd see how we'd do. At first I thought 30 min. would be enough of an interval, but it wasn't, so I switched to 15 min. She would go in and sit down, not go, and then go on the floor somewhere 2 min. later. I gave up after the 4th "accident" of the day.
For another day I suppose.
For another day I suppose.
Pottying in Style
One thing I think I do right, is feeding her. I'm not perfect by any means but I do get her to eat her veggies and she's still crazy for fruit. I'm also really good at limiting the junk she eats. I figure that at this point I still have control, so why go a ruin that by introducing her to all of the junk I love? A perfect example is cookies. I am terrible when it comes to cookies, I love them to the point I could probably make myself physically sick from them. I'll make cookies (I don't buy them) and after they're gone I'll tell myself, like a drunk might, that I will never bake cookies again. Then, a month later I'll be at the store and I'll talk myself into getting a bag of chocolate chips. I won't make them right away, I can hold myself off for a little while, but eventually I'll cave and there will be a whole batch of something sitting in the kitchen and I won't even know how it got there. Yet, even with this horrible addiction, Molly has never had more than 1/4 cookie in one sitting. I know you shouldn't judge, but the other day at the Dr's office I saw a kid probably a little younger than Molly with a baby bottle of chocolate milk. C'mon! I'm not opposed to chocolate milk, I love it, Molly's had it before, but make him drink it from a cup at least.
In other household news Molly's birthday is coming up. I have desperately wanted a nice outdoor area for her to play in, so I'm hoping that for her birthday we will at least be on our way to that goal. My dad is working on putting up a nice sturdy iron fence around a little portion of our backyard, and we have a contractor who is going to do some concrete work for us. For her birthday, we bought her a little slide and a sandbox. I think they're going to be a big hit with her. Sometime down the road I want to build her a playhouse (and by "I" I mean Jonny and my dad), but that's also for another day.
Work gloves on and ready to go!Well it's likely that when writing my next post I'll be the proud parent of a 2 year old! Can't believe it's almost time to print off volume 2 of the blog book.
These two years have flown by so quickly! I admire your dedication to Molly's diet and potty training...me, eh, Kate had cheetos for dinner the other night. Mom of the year over here.
ReplyDeleteWe all judge from time to time. I think we do it because we think we are doing absolutely the best thing for our child...so any deviation from what WE'D do just means that those parents don't love their child as much as we love ours. Chocolate milk in a bottle? Horrible! :-) I love the pictures, boots on the toilet, nice touch. And I can't believe how grey Mahota is, makes me sad.
ReplyDeleteAnnette - At least it was Cheerios and not coco puffs! She's getting whole grains with your choice! :-)
ReplyDeleteUh-oh Michaela, you miss read that, it was cheetos not cheerios! Time to judge! Lol! Seriously though it wasn't the indulgence that bothered me, it was the delivery of it. I guess it's because a bottle at that point is a comfort item, and so it makes it feel like like an everyday thing. Also, I could see how you might use a bottle to coax a kid to drink his milk, but you shouldn't go to any extra effort to get your kid to drink chocolate milk.
ReplyDeleteI can't judge the cheetos, I myself have moderation issues with the orange scrumptios puffs of god knows what. Landon also had two servings of yogurt for dinner tonight, at least it's low sugar, right?
ReplyDeleteLove the potty picture in her pink rain boots! You gotta be prepared here in Yuma! I loved your cookies also by the way. Made myself sick last night too if it makes you feel any better!
ReplyDelete